Hi! I’m Alice Malia, pronounced A-li-chay (it's Italian, and if you throw your hands in the air it's easier to pronounce - like "felice!" or "ceviché!"). You already know that I'm a lifestyle portrait photographer based in Olympia and that I'm really friendly and fun to work with, so here are some extra facts to get you even more jazzed about working with me:
The fun facts
- Good food, great company, and fancy chocolate is what I'm all about, because honestly, isn't that what a happy life is made of?
- I love, love, love to travel and explore, and I'll often offer tips of where to go and (most importantly) what to eat!
- Bright colors, sunshine, fresh flowers, and baby giggles will always put a smile on my face.
- People usually describe me as enthusiastic and cheerful!
- I'm big into yoga (particularly the relaxing styles), because it makes me feel so... (deep breath) ahhh, peaceful.
- When the weather is warm, you can find me outdoors at the beach or in the park, frolicking with my friends and family.
- When it's chilly outside, I'm at home snuggled on the couch with my hubby and wild-monkey toddler, watching a movie with a big bowl of soup, and wearing several extra layers of clothes (I grew up in Hawaii so I'm always freezing!).
How I started
When I was 9 years old, my Italian grandfather gave me one of the only gifts I remember receiving from him: a beautiful Olympus camera. The next day, it was stolen at an open market. Either that or I lost it (I've blocked the details out of my mind). I was so embarrassed and ashamed that I steered away from photography altogether because I was petrified of bringing up that story again. But don't worry, this story has a happy ending...
Then Paris happened
In 2005, my stepmom lent me her old Nikon FM10, which I took to Paris and used in college. When I started studying film photography, I immediately fell in love with the art form and finally let go of the story that was holding me back. From then on, hours and hours were spent in the darkroom developing my own film and watching the images appear on the page before me. It was a magical experience and I was immediately hooked. The more I learned, the more I wanted to learn. Paris was every budding photographer's dream backdrop, and it was my playground.
where i am now
Over the last 12 years, my style has developed and evolved, and now that I have a young family of my own, what inspires me most is the love and connections between family members and couples. That's why I focus on wedding and family photography in my new home of Olympia, Washington, and its surrounding areas. Now that you know my story, I would love to hear yours, so please drop me a line!
As seen on
Since 2012 I have also worked as a professional photo editor and retoucher, primarily for Nordstrom. I have also worked for large clients such as Microsoft and DocuSign, as well as for small companies and start ups. I am currently available for photo editing and retouching assignments, and for more information about these services, please click here for my photo editing portfolio and contact me for gallery access.